I played with this title for quite a while, finally settling on Spinach Arrrtichoke Dip, complete with the dip sculpted into a skull and crossbones on the plate as my featured image. Sadly, someone who shall remain nameless stumbled upon the plate and ate said skull and crossbones before I could get the photo. Heartbroken and giving up on my second choice, Asgardian Spinach Artichoke Dip, complete with horrible sculpted Mjölnir, I have opted for plain vanilla. Darnit! That skull was cool.
Anyway, few things can be as delicious as a good spinach artichoke dip, but few things can be a nauseating as a poorly made spinach artichoke dip. Luckily, this easy take on a classic is a fairly difficult recipe to mess up. I have played with it for years and, like most of the things I make, it’s rarely the same twice, but it’s always good. We make it our meal because it’s filling and stands alone nicely.
You can play with the cheeses, adding extra and other varieties like cheddar, mozzarella and Parmesan, and you can also go fat free with the mayo, sour cream and cream cheese. We, of course, love a nice helping of Tony’s mixed in with ours and I do the whole shebang in my food processor to keep it simple. I always double the recipe, but try a single and have fun with it.
I’m actually laughing as I read my old recipe card because I certainly add extra seasoning and cheeses, having never, since the first time, actually stuck to the recipe. Still good, I promise.
Spinach Artichoke Dip
- 1, 14 oz can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1/2 (10 oz) package frozen spinach, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayo or Miracle Whip
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1/4 tsp minced garlic
- French or other bread, cubed or tortilla chips for dipping
- Mozzarella, Parmesan, cheddar, garlic salt, Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning, etc. for a little extra pizzazz.
- Mix all ingredients well and then place in a baking dish, ensuring your dip is no deeper than 3/4-1 inch thick. Cover loosely with foil and bake for about 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Serve with a good bread or tortilla chips and enjoy.