The depression over the departure of our wonderful company still isn’t fading, but we press on. At least we still have some of the fantastic food they left us to keep the memories fresh…and someone’s dirty boxer shorts.
Anyway, last night the boys and I realized, with horror, that we only had 4 of Chad’s amazing Sheboygan bratwurst left. As it registered that some of us would only be able to eat 1, while some lucky person would have 2, a stare-down ensued, the likes of which hasn’t been seen since the climactic final moments of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. I had to think fast lest shots start firing.
See, our company also smoked a ham and we had intended to use the 48 slider buns we purchased to civilly eat said ham. Sadly, the ham was also so delicious that something of a feeding frenzy erupted. Buns and manners forgotten, we tore into the ham and that was that.
As I stared at my children, wondering how to end the standoff, I spotted the slider buns on the counter behind Daniel and inspiration struck. What follows is a way to stretch those precious Chad brats, or an easy and delicious meal to end a long day. The Good and Bad were quite satisfied and cleaned their plates with grins and ketchup on their faces.
The best part? I have leftovers!
Prep & cook time: 5-10 minutes Serves: 3-6
- 4 large, or 6 small brats, cooked and cut into quarter rounds or bite sized pieces
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced
- 2-4 TBSP butter, or olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dill, fresh or dried
- 12+ slider buns
- 1/4 cup sauerkraut
- 1/4-1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- In a 10-12 inch skillet, saute the onion in the butter or oil on medium high until clear, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the brats and dill and heat until warm, about 2 minutes. Add small bits of butter or oil, as needed, to keep moist.
- Add the sauerkraut and heat until warm, stirring to prevent sticking.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella and serve on slider buns topped with ketchup, mustard, etc.