Who doesn’t love a good burger off of the grill? Okay, not everyone. Sometimes they are fabulous and sometimes just plain flat and flavorless. These burgers do not have that problem. As I get older, I have no interest in boring food and these are a party on your taste buds without actually burning them off. They are definitely a crowd pleaser and even professed jalapeño haters, like my youngest, will devour these with great enthusiasm…unless they are my friend Allison, who will nibble on it for an hour. I wish I could eat slowly, but I feel like the mother from a Christmas Story; if I don’t inhale my food, I’ll never see a hot meal.
Where was I? Oh, yeah. You can serve these on Texas Toast or gourmet buns, but we were quite pleased with our plain Jane buns. The avocado is the perfect compliment and the prep is painless. Gourmet meal with fast food prep time.
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 TBSP + 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 & 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 sweet red pepper, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- garlic herb cheese spread
- Burger buns or Texas Toast
- Butter or olive oil
- Mix the jalapeños, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and ground beef and shape into patties. Cook on the grill or in the broiler to desire completion.
- Sauté onions and pepper in butter or olive oil until tender. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper if desired.
- Top each burger with garlic herb cheese spread, sautéed onion and pepper and avocado and serve on a bun.
- Take that first bite, close your eyes and sigh a happy sigh.